We collect cookies to analyze our website traffic and performance; we never collect any personal data.Cookies Policy
Accept
Michigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
Reading: George Kordahi Resigns Under Saudi Pressure
Share
Font ResizerAa
Michigan PostMichigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved.
Michigan Post > Blog > World > George Kordahi Resigns Under Saudi Pressure
World

George Kordahi Resigns Under Saudi Pressure

By Editorial Board Published December 3, 2021 5 Min Read
Share
George Kordahi Resigns Under Saudi Pressure
03lebanon facebookJumbo

BEIRUT, Lebanon — A Lebanese minister whose criticism of the Saudi-led war in Yemen prompted a diplomatic rift between Lebanon and powerful Persian Gulf states led by Saudi Arabia, resigned from his post on Friday, saying he hoped it would solve a crisis that has further damaged his country’s struggling economy.

George Kordahi, the information minister and a flamboyant former host of the Arabic version of the game show “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire,” told reporters he did not want to harm Lebanon or the many Lebanese working in Gulf countries.

“Lebanon is more important than George Kordahi and the interests of the Lebanese are more important than my position,” he said.

The spat erupted in late October, when an Arab news channel aired an interview with Mr. Kordahi that had been recorded before he joined the government.

Saudi Arabia responded by expelling the Lebanese ambassador from Riyadh and withdrawing the kingdom’s ambassador from Beirut. The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Bahrain, close Saudi allies, took similar measures.

The incident shed light on the region’s power politics and the lengths that Saudi Arabia will go to blunt criticism by putting pressure on weaker states.

In his comments, Mr. Kordahi harshly criticized the intervention in Yemen, which was aimed at toppling the Houthi rebels who have seized much of the country’s northwest, calling it “futile.” He also said the Houthis were defending themselves against “external aggression.”

The crisis sent shock waves through Lebanon, where many families rely on remittances from relatives working in Gulf States. The country was already suffering through one of the most severe economic contractions in modern history, and many Lebanese feared that anger from the Gulf countries would make it worse.

Saudi Arabia was once a major patron of Lebanon and played a large role in its politics by bankrolling politicians who shared its views. But those ties have frayed, as Saudi-backed figures have lost ground to Hezbollah, the militant group and political party backed by Iran, the Saudis’ regional nemesis.

Many Saudis also came to feel that the Lebanese had for too long been happy to take Saudi money while offering little of value in return.

As the crisis dragged on, Prime Minister Najib Mikati of Lebanon called on Mr. Kordahi to resign. Mr. Kordahi, a Christian who hails from a political party allied with Hezbollah, which supports the rebels in Yemen, initially refused.

President Emmanuel Macron of France is working to mend ties between the two sides, and Mr. Kordahi said on Friday that he hoped that resigning before a visit by the French leader to Gulf countries, which began Friday, could help resolve the crisis.

Mr. Macron has been at the forefront of international efforts to help Lebanon solve its financial woes, although the country’s leaders have failed to make any progress on the reforms needed to unlock international aid. Many powerful figures have also worked to hobble a judicial investigation into a huge explosion in Beirut’s port last year that killed more than 200 people and damaged much of the capital.

It was not immediately clear whether Mr. Kordahi’s resignation was enough to convince the Gulf countries to end the crisis.

For his part, Mr. Macron said after arriving in the United Arab Emirates on Friday that he was optimistic about bridging the gap.

“We will do all we can to re-engage the Gulf regions for the benefit of Lebanon,” he said. “I hope the coming hours will allow us to make progress.”

During his visit, Mr. Macron and Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed, the crown prince of Abu Dhabi and the de facto ruler of the Emirates, signed an agreement for the Emirates to buy 80 Rafale fighter jets and 12 military helicopters.

Hwaida Saad contributed reporting.

TAGGED:Defense and Military ForcesEconomic Conditions and TrendsLebanonMacron, Emmanuel (1977- )Mikati, NajibPolitics and GovernmentSaudi ArabiaThe Washington MailYemen
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

HOT NEWS

US court docket guidelines Trump’s world tariffs are unlawful – however leaves them in place for now

US court docket guidelines Trump’s world tariffs are unlawful – however leaves them in place for now

World
August 30, 2025
MDOT stops some work, visitors restrictions for Labor Day

MDOT stops some work, visitors restrictions for Labor Day

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) -- You would possibly discover considerably much less street work and detours…

August 30, 2025
Lib Dems eye Labour-held cities as they aim ‘seats not votes’

Lib Dems eye Labour-held cities as they aim ‘seats not votes’

They demolished a lot of the "blue wall" on the normal election, and now the…

August 30, 2025
Lansing man sentenced for submitting faux grant functions

Lansing man sentenced for submitting faux grant functions

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) -- A decide sentenced Leslie Buck, 25, of Lansing to 2 years…

August 30, 2025
Appeals court docket overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping lodge

Appeals court docket overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping lodge

A brief injunction that will have blocked asylum seekers from being housed on the Bell…

August 30, 2025

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 different officers from United Nations’ annual assembly in New York

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 different officers have been blocked from attending September's annual assembly of the United Nations…

World
August 29, 2025

Brazil implores companies to attend main local weather summit, regardless of ‘second ideas’ amid Trump backlash

The Brazilian hosts of the most important local weather assembly of the 12 months have implored companies to attend in…

World
August 29, 2025

Fugitive father-of-three and one in every of his youngsters noticed years after disappearance, say police

Police have launched CCTV footage which they imagine exhibits a fugitive father-of-three and one in every of his youngsters, virtually…

World
August 29, 2025

Fraudster from UK dwelling in Dubai to lose £90m property empire and Ferrari

A fraudster on the run from Britain will lose his £90m property empire and his Ferrari, a decide has dominated.Arif…

World
August 29, 2025

Welcome to Michigan Post, an esteemed publication of the Enspirers News Group. As a beacon of excellence in journalism, Michigan Post is committed to delivering unfiltered and comprehensive news coverage on World News, Politics, Business, Tech, and beyond.

Company

  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • Accessibility Statement

Contact Us

  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability

Term of Use

  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices

© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?