We collect cookies to analyze our website traffic and performance; we never collect any personal data.Cookies Policy
Accept
Michigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
Reading: Breakthrough Victoria publish $3 million loss
Share
Font ResizerAa
Michigan PostMichigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved.
Michigan Post > Blog > Startups > Breakthrough Victoria publish $3 million loss
Startups

Breakthrough Victoria publish $3 million loss

By Editorial Board Published November 4, 2024 7 Min Read
Share
Breakthrough Victoria publish  million loss

The Victorian authorities’s controversial $2 billion enterprise capital fund, Breakthrough Victoria, posted a $3 million loss in its third 12 months of operation.

The funding physique, which noticed a number of administrators depart in 2024, with CEO Grant Dooley additionally heading to the exit after simply three years, copped a $360 million haircut within the Victorian finances earlier this 12 months, posted the loss after its working grant funding ceased and it lower prices to deal with investing.

However the loss is “decrease than forecast and fairly displays the efficiency of an funding agency at this stage in its evolution, Breakthrough Victoria says in its 2024 Annual Report.

The organisation got here below sustained criticism earlier this 12 months for its working prices and modest investments, after the 2023 Annual Report revealed complete prices of $22 million with simply $73.7 million invested within the monetary 12 months. It posted a $58.7 million revenue that 12 months.

Breakthrough Victoria had round 50 employees and an annual wages invoice of practically $10 million.

Adir Shiffman, chair of ASX-listed Catapult Group, and Search cofounder Matt Rockman had been amongst these calling for the fund to be shut down.

Shiffman argued the it was “poorly conceived, suspiciously political, huge, opaque, using the wrong KPIs, an overly broad and unclear mandate, poor governance, and reporting that is slower than expected and provides little clarity”.

There may be “no need for $2 billion of government money competing against an ocean of private venture capital in Australia,” he mentioned on the time.

Prices down, funding up

The 2024 report notes improved operational effectivity, with ratio of direct funding associated bills as a proportion of belongings below administration practically halving to three.1%, down from 6% in 2023.

Breakthrough Victoria says it checked out greater than 500 funding alternatives in FT24, taking over 21, for a complete funding of $191.5 million. They concerned 15 new corporations and 6 follow-on investments. All up the fund has now dedicated $350 million throughout 44 investments – 36 to corporations (together with the 6 follow-ons), one fund, six college platforms and the Jumar Bioincubator.

Most controversially, it spent $52 million getting two US corporations to arrange store in Melbourne – California-based take a look at tools producer Liquid Devices scored $15 million  and there was $37 million for near-space exploration platform World View.

A World View balloon prepares to launch within the US

World View manufactures and launches stratospheric balloons for sensing, climate monitoring, and communication that may keep airborne for as much as 45 days. The corporate can be exploring area tourism within the stratosphere, which extends roughly between 10km and 50km above Earth.

Critics contemplate the thought a pipe dream.

BV additionally led a $13 million increase for augmented actuality app Jigspace, tipping in $4.4 million.

It additionally made deep tech investments together with fermented dairy different Eden Brew’s $25 million Collection A alongside CSIRO-backed VC Major Sequence, in addition to  baby-saving medtech startup Navi.

Supporters argue that the sovereign enterprise fund is essential to commercialisation for science startups and addresses a funding void for medtech startups, stopping the expertise from heading offshore.

The annual report mentioned that Breakthrough Victoria’s web belongings at June 30 this 12 months had been $536.1m, a rise of $172m, primarily due a rise in investments held of $159.3m and $175m acquired in capital funding from the state authorities.

The state finances prolonged the funding timeline from 10 to fifteen years, to 2034-35 and to date the federal government has contributed $450m.

Breakthrough Victoria mentioned the board had authorized $16.9m of investments that are anticipated to be contracted and settled subsequent to the reporting interval. Amongst them is Sydney 5G chipset startup Millibeam.

However not all has gone to plan with epilepsy medtech Seer Medical, which raised a $34m Collection A in 2021 after which took on Breakthrough Victoria funding the next,  12 months, withdrawing their product from the Australian and US markets alongside authorized motion with one of many cofounders.

Breakthrough Victoria mentioned it “will continue to monitor the future direction of the company with any implications on the future valuation”.

Opposition dismayed

The Opposition trade and innovation spokesperson Bridget Vallence, mentioned Victorians need to know better element in regards to the fund’s investments, including that World View’s personal auditors doubted their survival.

“Labor is gambling $2 billion of Victorian taxpayers’ money on its secretive Breakthrough Victoria fund, and now it is in financial strife,” she mentioned.

“The CEO give up, 5 board members give up, and now Breakthrough Victoria below Labor is in monetary disarray. Treasurer Tim Pallas should come clear in regards to the monetary incompetence of Labor’s secretive funding fund.”

Treasurer Tim Pallas is Breakthrough Victoria’s sole shareholder and former Labor premier John Brumby is chair of the board.

Brumby mentioned in his chairman’s handle that it’s greater than only a enterprise capital fund.

“Through our University Innovation Platform co-investment program, Breakthrough Victoria has partnered with Deakin University, La Trobe University, the University of Melbourne, Monash University, RMIT, and Swinburne University of Technology to drive the commercialisation of their research,” he mentioned.

“Matched dollar-for-dollar by the schools themselves, these coinvestment packages will drive innovation exercise and remodel analysis commercialisation on Victorian campuses

TAGGED:breakthroughLossMillionPostVictoria
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

HOT NEWS

Chickenpox vaccine to be provided on NHS subsequent 12 months, as a part of routine MMR jab for infants

Chickenpox vaccine to be provided on NHS subsequent 12 months, as a part of routine MMR jab for infants

Tech / Science
August 29, 2025
Japan releases AI-generated video exhibiting simulation of Mount Fuji violently erupting

Japan releases AI-generated video exhibiting simulation of Mount Fuji violently erupting

Japanese officers have launched an AI-generated video exhibiting a simulation of Mount Fuji violently erupting…

August 28, 2025
Jackson transportation officers launch initiative to repair the roads

Jackson transportation officers launch initiative to repair the roads

JACKSON, Mich. (WLNS) -- Jackson County transportation officers are planning to launch a "Safe Streets…

August 28, 2025
Boy, 8, killed in US Catholic faculty capturing named – as sufferer’s father manufacturers attacker ‘a coward’

Boy, 8, killed in US Catholic faculty capturing named – as sufferer’s father manufacturers attacker ‘a coward’

An eight-year-old boy killed within the US Catholic faculty capturing has been named - as…

August 28, 2025
Former government director of Charlotte shelter indicted for embezzlement

Former government director of Charlotte shelter indicted for embezzlement

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) -- A grand jury has indicted the previous government director of a…

August 28, 2025

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Sydney quantum startup Q-CTRL baggage $38 million US defence contract for GPS-free navigation sensors

Quantum infrastructure software program startup Q-CTRL has been awarded to contracts value $38 million (US$24.4m) beneath the US Division of…

Startups
August 28, 2025

Mounjaro producer pauses UK shipments of weight reduction drug forward of worth hike

The producer of the favored weight reduction drug Mounjaro has paused shipments to the UK forward of an upcoming worth…

Business
August 28, 2025

England warned it faces six million new most cancers instances by 2040 – with these areas worst hit

Greater than six million new most cancers instances could possibly be recognized in England between now and 2040, in line…

Tech / Science
August 27, 2025

5 methods to get your loved ones prepared for Australia’s u16s social media ban

In lower than 4 months, world-first laws will ban Australian under-16s from sure social media platforms. Fb, Snapchat, TikTok, Instagram,…

Startups
August 26, 2025

Welcome to Michigan Post, an esteemed publication of the Enspirers News Group. As a beacon of excellence in journalism, Michigan Post is committed to delivering unfiltered and comprehensive news coverage on World News, Politics, Business, Tech, and beyond.

Company

  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • Accessibility Statement

Contact Us

  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability

Term of Use

  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices

© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?