We collect cookies to analyze our website traffic and performance; we never collect any personal data.Cookies Policy
Accept
Michigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
Reading: Sydney Harbour Bridge pro-Palestine protest so busy it was ‘perilous’, police chief says
Share
Font ResizerAa
Michigan PostMichigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved.
Michigan Post > Blog > World > Sydney Harbour Bridge pro-Palestine protest so busy it was ‘perilous’, police chief says
World

Sydney Harbour Bridge pro-Palestine protest so busy it was ‘perilous’, police chief says

By Editorial Board Published August 3, 2025 4 Min Read
Share
Sydney Harbour Bridge pro-Palestine protest so busy it was ‘perilous’, police chief says

Tens of 1000’s of Sydney residents marched throughout town’s iconic Harbour Bridge to help Palestinians in Gaza and name for an finish to the struggle. 

The choice to centre the protest on such an iconic landmark was controversial. The bridge is taken into account an emblem of unity within the metropolis.

Nevertheless, the Israel-Hamas struggle has been deeply divisive in Australia and elevated pressure between the nation’s Jewish and Muslim communities.

Picture:
Protesters stroll throughout the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Pic: AAP/Dean Lewins/Reuters

On Sunday there have been pro-Palestinian demonstrations in Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney.

In Sydney organisers hoped 50,000 individuals would attend, regardless of heavy rain.

Ultimately, the bridge and the central enterprise district had been so packed – and the climate so dangerous – that police and organisers referred to as the march off mid-way, fearing there can be a crush within the crowd.

Protest in Sydney. Pic: @emafranklin via Storyful

Picture:
Protest in Sydney. Pic: @emafranklin through Storyful

Police mentioned the gang numbers within the Sydney Harbour Bridge march had been “far greater” than anticipated, creating the danger of a crowd crush.

“It was perilous,” mentioned senior officer Peter McKenna, including his drive was “very lucky the crowd was well-behaved”.

The ultimate figures for the quantity of people that attended have not been launched. Nevertheless it was a formidable turnout within the tens of 1000’s.

A few of these attending the march, referred to as by its organisers the March for Humanity, carried pots and pans as symbols of the starvation within the besieged enclave of Gaza.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange joins protesters gathering to walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Pic: AAP/Dean Lewins/Reuters

Picture:
Julian Assange joined protesters. Pic: AAP/Dean Lewins/Reuters

There was additionally a shock visitor, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

He has largely stored a low profile since his launch from a British jail final yr. He did not communicate to the gang, however he was amongst these main the march.

Nevertheless, the demonstration nearly did not occur after New South Wales police tried to cease it from happening on the Harbour Bridge.

Follow The World

Comply with The World

Hearken to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim each Wednesday

Faucet to observe

On Saturday, the nation’s Supreme Court docket dominated it might go forward.

Regardless of the rain, there have been households with kids and seniors as properly. It was a real cross-section of Australian society.

One of many protesters, Sarah, drove up from the Blue Mountains exterior Sydney to attend.

She mentioned, “enough is enough” and the Australian authorities ought to take “stronger action”.

Pro-Palestine protesters on Sydney Harbour Bridge

Picture:
Professional-Palestine protesters on Sydney Harbour Bridge

Sarah additionally mentioned Australians need individuals to know they care about what’s occurring on this planet.

Australia has not joined France, the UK and Canada is asserting plans to recognise a Palestinian state in September.

The federal government right here says recognition is a matter of “when not if”. Nevertheless it has not dedicated to any timeline.

Public stress is rising on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to take a stronger stand in opposition to the struggle. Thus far, he has largely resisted that stress.

However the authorities’s language in the direction of Israel is changing into extra crucial.

TAGGED:BridgeBusychiefHarbourperilousPoliceproPalestineprotestSydney
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

HOT NEWS

Tennis star Kamil Majchrzak responds to video of boy having his cap snatched at US Open

Tennis star Kamil Majchrzak responds to video of boy having his cap snatched at US Open

World
August 30, 2025
Metropolis veteran Kheraj in competition to chair banking big HSBC

Metropolis veteran Kheraj in competition to chair banking big HSBC

Naguib Kheraj, the Metropolis veteran, has been shortlisted to turn out to be the subsequent…

August 30, 2025
Late Sparks turnover seals loss to Indiana Fever as Caitlin Clark watches from sideline

Late Sparks turnover seals loss to Indiana Fever as Caitlin Clark watches from sideline

In an intense back-and-forth battle Friday night time at Crypto.com Enviornment, the Sparks finally suffered…

August 30, 2025
Meet the ladies who by no means gave up on soccer, now hoping to safe their place on an Afghan squad

Meet the ladies who by no means gave up on soccer, now hoping to safe their place on an Afghan squad

Removed from dwelling - on the St George's Park dwelling of the Lionesses - feminine…

August 30, 2025
Dodgers’ troubles on the plate strike once more in loss to Zac Gallen and Diamondbacks

Dodgers’ troubles on the plate strike once more in loss to Zac Gallen and Diamondbacks

For each the Dodgers and San Diego Padres, the project over the following few weeks…

August 30, 2025

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

US court docket guidelines Trump’s world tariffs are unlawful – however leaves them in place for now

Donald Trump's tariffs are unconstitutional, however they'll stay in place for now, the US Courtroom of Appeals has mentioned.The court…

World
August 30, 2025

East Lansing police face complaints after chaotic weekend

EAST LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) -- A metropolis police oversight committee assembly Friday night will overview reviews from a "disruptive" weekend…

Michigan
August 29, 2025

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 different officers from United Nations’ annual assembly in New York

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 different officers have been blocked from attending September's annual assembly of the United Nations…

World
August 29, 2025

Brazil implores companies to attend main local weather summit, regardless of ‘second ideas’ amid Trump backlash

The Brazilian hosts of the most important local weather assembly of the 12 months have implored companies to attend in…

World
August 29, 2025

Welcome to Michigan Post, an esteemed publication of the Enspirers News Group. As a beacon of excellence in journalism, Michigan Post is committed to delivering unfiltered and comprehensive news coverage on World News, Politics, Business, Tech, and beyond.

Company

  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • Accessibility Statement

Contact Us

  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability

Term of Use

  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices

© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?