We collect cookies to analyze our website traffic and performance; we never collect any personal data.Cookies Policy
Accept
Michigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
Reading: Epstein Accuser’s Lawsuit Against Prince Andrew Can Proceed, Judge Rules
Share
Font ResizerAa
Michigan PostMichigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved.
Michigan Post > Blog > World > Epstein Accuser’s Lawsuit Against Prince Andrew Can Proceed, Judge Rules
World

Epstein Accuser’s Lawsuit Against Prince Andrew Can Proceed, Judge Rules

By Editorial Board Published January 12, 2022 4 Min Read
Share
Epstein Accuser’s Lawsuit Against Prince Andrew Can Proceed, Judge Rules
12PrinceAndrew facebookJumbo

A lawsuit against Prince Andrew brought by Virginia Giuffre, a woman who claimed he raped her when she was a teenager, will be allowed to proceed after a federal judge in Manhattan denied Andrew’s request to dismiss the suit.

Andrew, 61, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II and a friend of the financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, argued in court papers that he had been released from liability in future lawsuits under the terms of a settlement Ms. Giuffre reached with Mr. Epstein in 2009 in a different lawsuit, in Florida.

Mr. Epstein, 66, was found hanged in a Manhattan jail cell in 2019 while awaiting a sex-trafficking trial. His death was ruled a suicide.

In the Florida case, Mr. Epstein paid Ms. Giuffre $500,000 to settle a lawsuit in which she had accused Mr. Epstein of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager, according to the settlement agreement, which was unsealed this month.

Under the terms of the agreement, Ms. Giuffre had released Mr. Epstein and other “potential defendants” from further litigation, a category that lawyers for Prince Andrew said included him.

In rejecting Andrew’s argument and allowing Ms. Giuffre’s lawsuit to continue, the judge, Lewis A. Kaplan of Federal District Court, did not address the merits of Ms. Giuffre’s claims.

Andrew, who has denied Ms. Giuffre’s allegations, has not been charged with any crimes. His name surfaced intermittently in testimony at the recent sex-trafficking trial in Manhattan of Ghislaine Maxwell, Mr. Epstein’s longtime companion, who was convicted of five of the six counts against her. Witnesses testified that Andrew was a friend of Ms. Maxwell and had flown on some of Mr. Epstein’s planes.

Under an agreed-upon scheduling order in the lawsuit, lawyers for Ms. Giuffre and Andrew must complete legal discovery — the exchange of documents and the taking of depositions of experts — by July 14.

Judge Kaplan’s ruling, which was made public on Wednesday, comes as the Queen prepares to mark 70 years on the throne in February, and appears to assure that the lawsuit and any potentially damaging disclosures could continue to cast a shadow over the royal family.

A lawyer for Andrew, the Duke of York, did not respond to a request for comment. Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the ruling.

Ms. Giuffre’s lawyer, David Boies, said his client was pleased that Andrew’s motion to dismiss had been denied, “and that evidence will now be taken concerning her claims against him.”

“She looks forward to a judicial determination of the merits of those claims,” Mr. Boies said.

In her suit, filed in August, Ms. Giuffre claimed that Andrew sexually abused her when she was younger than 18 at Mr. Epstein’s mansion in Manhattan and on his private island, Little St. James, in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Andrew, along with Mr. Epstein and Ms. Maxwell, also forced her to have sexual intercourse with Andrew against her will at Ms. Maxwell’s home in London, the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit said Ms. Giuffre was compelled by Mr. Epstein, Ms. Maxwell and Andrew to engage in sexual acts with Andrew, and that she feared repercussions if she disobeyed because of “their powerful connections, wealth and authority.”

Mark Landler contributed reporting from London.

TAGGED:Andrew, Duke of YorkEpstein, Jeffrey E (1953- )Giuffre, Virginia RobertsManhattan (NYC)Sex CrimesSuits and Litigation (Civil)The Washington Mail
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

HOT NEWS

MSU addresses fan complaints to reinforce soccer concessions

MSU addresses fan complaints to reinforce soccer concessions

Michigan
August 30, 2025
A minimum of three useless after Indonesian parliament constructing set ablaze – as violent protests rage on

A minimum of three useless after Indonesian parliament constructing set ablaze – as violent protests rage on

A minimum of three folks have died after protesters set hearth to a regional parliament…

August 30, 2025
Yemen’s Houthi insurgent prime minister Ahmed al Rahawi killed in Israeli airstrike, militant group says

Yemen’s Houthi insurgent prime minister Ahmed al Rahawi killed in Israeli airstrike, militant group says

Israel has killed the Houthi insurgent prime minister Ahmed al Rahawi, the Iranian-backed militant group…

August 30, 2025
The Majority Should Be Mistaken | Economics

The Majority Should Be Mistaken | Economics

QUESTION: I requested GOK who thinks the inventory market will crash. It gave a listing…

August 30, 2025
Variety of useless in Gaza reaches 63,000, well being ministry says – as Israel declares metropolis a fight zone

Variety of useless in Gaza reaches 63,000, well being ministry says – as Israel declares metropolis a fight zone

Greater than 63,000 Palestinians have now reportedly been killed throughout Israel's battle in Gaza, a…

August 30, 2025

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Greta Thunberg rejects accusations of antisemitism as she embarks on second flotilla to Gaza

Greta Thunberg has rejected accusations of antisemitism as she embarks on her second flotilla to Gaza.The 22-year-old and different activists…

World
August 30, 2025

Three Scottish brothers set new world report for 9,000-mile row throughout Pacific Ocean

Three brothers have set a brand new world for rowing throughout the Pacific Ocean unsupported within the quickest ever time.…

World
August 30, 2025

Professional-Western Ukrainian politician and former parliament speaker Andriy Parubiy shot lifeless in Lviv

A former speaker of the Ukrainian parliament has been shot lifeless in Lviv. Authorities stated the gunman fired a number…

World
August 30, 2025

Tennis star Kamil Majchrzak responds to video of boy having his cap snatched at US Open

Tennis star Kamil Majchrzak has responded to footage of a boy having his cap snatched from him within the crowd…

World
August 30, 2025

Welcome to Michigan Post, an esteemed publication of the Enspirers News Group. As a beacon of excellence in journalism, Michigan Post is committed to delivering unfiltered and comprehensive news coverage on World News, Politics, Business, Tech, and beyond.

Company

  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • Accessibility Statement

Contact Us

  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability

Term of Use

  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices

© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?