We collect cookies to analyze our website traffic and performance; we never collect any personal data.Cookies Policy
Accept
Michigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
Reading: Firearms officers dealing with trial over police shootings to stay nameless in wake of Chris Kaba case, residence secretary says
Share
Font ResizerAa
Michigan PostMichigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved.
Michigan Post > Blog > Politics > Firearms officers dealing with trial over police shootings to stay nameless in wake of Chris Kaba case, residence secretary says
Politics

Firearms officers dealing with trial over police shootings to stay nameless in wake of Chris Kaba case, residence secretary says

By Editorial Board Published October 23, 2024 2 Min Read
Share
Firearms officers dealing with trial over police shootings to stay nameless in wake of Chris Kaba case, residence secretary says

Firearms officers on trial over police shootings won’t be named throughout prison proceedings, the house secretary has introduced.

Yvette Cooper made the announcement after police marksman Martyn Blake was cleared by a jury on Monday of the homicide of Chris Kaba in Streatham, south London, in September 2022.

Mr Blake, 40, fired a single bullet by the windscreen of the Audi Q8 that 24-year-old Kaba was driving as armed officers surrounded the automobile whereas he tried to flee.

Picture:
Chris Kaba was shot lifeless by a police officer who was cleared of homicide

The Metropolitan Police firearms officer was named for the primary time in March this yr as a choose lifted an anonymity order after media organisations challenged the authorized software to guard his id.

Earlier than that, he had been identified by the codename NX121 after threats had been made in opposition to him.

Ms Cooper mentioned officers will now stay nameless till they’re convicted.

She mentioned the ruling can be a part of an upcoming crime and policing invoice.

She informed the Home of Commons: “When officers act in the most dangerous situations on behalf of the state it is vital that those officers and their families are not put in further danger during any subsequent legal proceedings, so we will therefore introduce a presumption of anonymity for firearms officers subject to criminal trial following a police shooting in the course of their professional duties, up to the point of conviction.”

Ms Cooper mentioned Mr Kaba’s loss of life and the trial of Mr Blake had been held in opposition to “a backdrop of fallen community confidence in policing and the criminal justice system across the country”.

Please refresh the web page for the fullest model.

TAGGED:anonymouscaseChrisfacingFirearmsHomeKabaofficersPoliceremainSecretaryshootingstrialwake
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

HOT NEWS

Coco Gauff credit Simone Biles with inspiring her second-round U.S. Open win

Coco Gauff credit Simone Biles with inspiring her second-round U.S. Open win

Sports
August 29, 2025
Richard Tice defends Reform ban on native newspaper in free speech row

Richard Tice defends Reform ban on native newspaper in free speech row

Nottinghamshire County Council chief Mick Barton banned its Reform councillors, who maintain 41 of 66…

August 29, 2025
Thickening Haircuts That Immediately Rework Fantastic Hair

Thickening Haircuts That Immediately Rework Fantastic Hair

Reality: All of us need luscious hair. Whether or not pin straight or naturally curly,…

August 29, 2025
Whitmer calls particular election for vacant Michigan Senate seat

Whitmer calls particular election for vacant Michigan Senate seat

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) -- Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has referred to as a particular election…

August 29, 2025
Longtime Crenshaw soccer coach Robert Garrett misses his second sport

Longtime Crenshaw soccer coach Robert Garrett misses his second sport

Crenshaw Excessive has began its soccer season 2-0 however has executed so with out longtime…

August 29, 2025

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

MSP denies putting secret digital camera in Scottish parliament bathrooms

A suspended Labour MSP has denied allegations he positioned a secret digital camera in bathrooms within the Scottish parliament. The…

Politics
August 29, 2025

Investigation urged after MP ‘apparently’ facilitates ‘racial slur’ towards Sky Information journalist

Conservative MP Ben Overweight-Jecty has written to the parliamentary commissioner for requirements, Daniel Greenberg, over the matter. Mr McMurdock was…

Politics
August 29, 2025

Fugitive father-of-three and one in every of his youngsters noticed years after disappearance, say police

Police have launched CCTV footage which they imagine exhibits a fugitive father-of-three and one in every of his youngsters, virtually…

World
August 29, 2025

A ‘revenge’ reshuffle, the following price range and asylum – 30 issues to look at for this upcoming political season

We're again. From Monday, MPs will stream below the portcullis again into the Commons chamber. However that is removed from…

Politics
August 29, 2025

Welcome to Michigan Post, an esteemed publication of the Enspirers News Group. As a beacon of excellence in journalism, Michigan Post is committed to delivering unfiltered and comprehensive news coverage on World News, Politics, Business, Tech, and beyond.

Company

  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • Accessibility Statement

Contact Us

  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability

Term of Use

  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices

© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?