We collect cookies to analyze our website traffic and performance; we never collect any personal data.Cookies Policy
Accept
Michigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
Reading: NFL to Settle Lawsuit Over Rams’ Departure for $790 Million
Share
Font ResizerAa
Michigan PostMichigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved.
Michigan Post > Blog > Sports > NFL to Settle Lawsuit Over Rams’ Departure for $790 Million
Sports

NFL to Settle Lawsuit Over Rams’ Departure for $790 Million

By Editorial Board Published November 24, 2021 6 Min Read
Share
NFL to Settle Lawsuit Over Rams’ Departure for 0 Million
24nfl rams 1 facebookJumbo

The N.F.L. has agreed to pay the city and county of St. Louis $790 million to settle a four-year dispute over whether the league broke its own relocation guidelines to pave the way for the Rams to move to Los Angeles in 2016, according to two people who spoke on condition of anonymity. A league spokesman confirmed that a settlement had been reached, but declined to confirm the amount.

In a civil suit, a group that included the city, the county and the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority said Rams executives, N.F.L. officials and other teams’ owners had encouraged the group to try to build a new stadium to keep the franchise. Officials in St. Louis spent $17 million on designs and plans for a new stadium, but the league disregarded those efforts without explanation and team owners voted to allow the Rams to move to California, the complaint said.

Rams owner Stanley Kroenke, who in recent weeks tried to narrow the scope of his liability in the case, is expected to pay for the entire settlement.

The payout comes on top of the $550 million relocation fee that Kroenke paid to the N.F.L. for the right to move to Los Angeles. He has also spent roughly $5 billion to build SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif., which the Rams share with the Los Angeles Chargers, and which will host the Super Bowl in February.

The victory for St. Louis is bittersweet. While the money from the settlement will help make up some of the financial losses from tourism and entertainment fees, it will not atone for the psychic damage of watching a second N.F.L. franchise depart.

2021 N.F.L. Season News and Analysis

In 1988, the city lost the Cardinals, who moved to Arizona. St. Louis lured the Rams from Anaheim, Calif., in 1995, in part because it had already constructed a domed stadium, but the lease with the N.F.L. franchise gave the team opportunities to seek other options for venues later.

The city’s fears grew when, in 2013, Kroenke bought the Hollywood Park Racetrack, which sat on 260 acres of land in Inglewood, Calif. The Rams then would not commit to a long-term deal to stay in St. Louis, raising the likelihood of a relocation.

To fight back, the then-governor of Missouri, Jay Nixon, formed a task force that developed a plan for a new outdoor stadium near the Mississippi River that included a naming rights partner and public funding to cover some construction costs.

At the same time, a committee of six N.F.L. owners recommended that the league allow the Chargers and Raiders, who also sought new venues, to build a stadium together in Carson, Calif. Yet in January 2016, the entire cohort of league owners voted 30-2 to let the Rams move to Los Angeles. As a consolation, the Chargers were given the right to move in to the Rams’ new home if they could not secure a new stadium in San Diego.

In 2017, a team of lawyers that included Bob Blitz, a member of the Missouri task force, sued the league on behalf of the city and county of St. Louis, and of the stadium authority, which no longer had the Rams as an anchor tenant.

“The Rams and the N.F.L. knew that Plaintiffs were spending vast amounts of time and money to develop a new stadium complex financing plan and encouraged Plaintiffs’ commitments through misrepresentations regarding the process and the Rams’ intent,” the lawyers wrote in their complaint.

The settlement, which came just weeks before a trial was set to begin in St. Louis, was a rare and very public defeat for the N.F.L. The league fought the lawsuit because it did not want to set a settlement precedent or open the door for an adverse ruling that would invite other cities in the future to sue the league after their teams’ departures.

But the prospect of team owners being forced to testify about how the league makes the decision that a team can move, and potential damages that could surpass $1 billion, led the league to reach an agreement.

The N.F.L. has fended off lawsuits from cities that it abandoned before. Most recently, the city of Oakland, Calif., sued the league after the Raiders were allowed to move to Las Vegas in 2017. But that suit, which is under appeal, was filed in federal court.

St. Louis filed its suit in state court, and the judge in the case repeatedly rebuffed the league’s efforts to move the trial. Much of the case remained under seal, but the league had suffered a string of defeats and a trial in front of a jury of a dozen Missouri residents had been likely until the league decided to settle.

TAGGED:FootballKroenke, StanLas Vegas RaidersLos Angeles (Calif)Los Angeles ChargersLos Angeles RamsNational Football LeagueNixon, JaySt Louis (Mo)Stadiums and ArenasSuits and Litigation (Civil)The Washington Mail
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

HOT NEWS

East Lansing police face complaints after chaotic weekend

East Lansing police face complaints after chaotic weekend

Michigan
August 29, 2025
Political leanings of two judges concerned in Epping migrant lodge case – and who they sided with

Political leanings of two judges concerned in Epping migrant lodge case – and who they sided with

The Enchantment Court docket choose who dominated in favour of House Secretary Yvette Cooper within…

August 29, 2025
US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 different officers from United Nations’ annual assembly in New York

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 different officers from United Nations’ annual assembly in New York

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 different officers have been blocked from attending September's annual…

August 29, 2025
Small aircraft crashes, catches hearth in Livingston County

Small aircraft crashes, catches hearth in Livingston County

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) -- A 22-year-old pilot suffered "significant injuries" Thursday when a single-engine aircraft…

August 29, 2025
Coco Gauff credit Simone Biles with inspiring her second-round U.S. Open win

Coco Gauff credit Simone Biles with inspiring her second-round U.S. Open win

Coco Gauff was struggling for the second time in as many matches this week on…

August 29, 2025

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Longtime Crenshaw soccer coach Robert Garrett misses his second sport

Crenshaw Excessive has began its soccer season 2-0 however has executed so with out longtime head coach Robert Garrett. Terrance…

Sports
August 29, 2025

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce and Swift’s huge ol’ engagement ring go to a soccer sport collectively

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s engagement could have kicked off a serious earthquake in the actual world this week, but…

Sports
August 29, 2025

Can DeShaun Foster proceed to develop? 5 issues to observe when UCLA faces Utah

A yr in the past, UCLA was on the verge of Hawaiian humiliation in its season opener.The offense plodded. The…

Sports
August 29, 2025

Crespi continues its regular progress to enhance in soccer

Crespi Excessive stays the one soccer group in San Fernando Valley historical past to win a Southern Part Division 1…

Sports
August 29, 2025

Welcome to Michigan Post, an esteemed publication of the Enspirers News Group. As a beacon of excellence in journalism, Michigan Post is committed to delivering unfiltered and comprehensive news coverage on World News, Politics, Business, Tech, and beyond.

Company

  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • Accessibility Statement

Contact Us

  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability

Term of Use

  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices

© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?