We collect cookies to analyze our website traffic and performance; we never collect any personal data.Cookies Policy
Accept
Michigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
Reading: Tonga Goes Into Lockdown After 2 Covid Cases at Wharf
Share
Font ResizerAa
Michigan PostMichigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved.
Michigan Post > Blog > World > Tonga Goes Into Lockdown After 2 Covid Cases at Wharf
World

Tonga Goes Into Lockdown After 2 Covid Cases at Wharf

By Editorial Board Published February 2, 2022 3 Min Read
Share
Tonga Goes Into Lockdown After 2 Covid Cases at Wharf
02virus briefing tonga facebookJumbo

Tonga will go into lockdown on Wednesday after recording its first community transmission of the coronavirus, weeks after being battered by a powerful volcanic eruption and subsequent tsunami. The eruption shrouded buildings in ash, swamped the island with water, cut off digital communication and prompted an international humanitarian aid effort.

Two workers who were helping to distribute aid shipments at the Tongan wharf tested positive for the virus on Tuesday, Prime Minister Siaosi Sovaleni announced. The outbreak occurred despite efforts by countries and aid groups to deliver relief without direct contact with the island nation, which had managed until now to remain mostly coronavirus free.

The two positive cases were detected in Nuku’alofa, the capital, during routine testing of frontline wharf workers, local news media reported. The workers are asymptomatic and in quarantine.

Mr. Sovaleni said at a news conference on Tuesday night that the authorities were in the process of identifying from which ship the transmission had spread.

“We are working on it, and we have the record of ships that had been here at a time that could have spread this virus. We are looking at goods that were offloaded,” he said, according to the local newspaper Matangi Tonga.

It is unclear whether the new cases are linked to the Australian Navy ship the H.M.A.S. Adelaide, which has been stranded at Nuku’alofa since last week because of a power outage. The Australian government said that 23 crew members had tested positive for the coronavirus and were in isolation. The vessel had docked to deliver aid, and its cargo was being offloaded by machines, a United Nations spokesman said.

The authorities announced that Tonga would go into lockdown from 6 p.m. on Wednesday, with schools shut, mass gatherings forbidden and travel banned among Tonga’s 169 islands. Officials said they hoped the lockdown, which will be reviewed every two days, would stop transmission between the capital and the other islands.

The lockdown is another blow to a nation that is still recovering from the devastating effects of the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai volcanic eruption on Jan. 15, which unleashed tsunami waves of up to 50 feet that hit several islands. The eruption damaged the country’s single fiber optic cable. Many residents are still without internet, as repairs are expected to take weeks.

Tonga previously reported one coronavirus case that emerged in quarantine last October, after the person had arrived on an Air New Zealand flight. The country requires arriving travelers to quarantine for 21 days, and about 60 percent of the population has received two doses of a Covid vaccine.

TAGGED:Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)Deaths (Fatalities)Fiber OpticsForeign AidThe Washington MailTidal Waves and TsunamisTongaVolcanoes
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

HOT NEWS

Choosing Curves Without the Operating Room

Choosing Curves Without the Operating Room

Fashion / BeautyTrending
February 5, 2026
Heba Hadi: From Denmark to Dubai, Snapchat Growth, and a Fast-Selling Fashion Brand

Heba Hadi: From Denmark to Dubai, Snapchat Growth, and a Fast-Selling Fashion Brand

Some creators feel like a highlight reel. Heba Hadi wife of Karwan Talei feels more…

February 2, 2026
Dr Mohsen Mostafa Kamel Elnidany: Redefining Leadership and Innovation in the Global Sports Business

Dr Mohsen Mostafa Kamel Elnidany: Redefining Leadership and Innovation in the Global Sports Business

Mohsen Mostafa Kamel Mohamed Elnidany is a prominent sports entrepreneur and international sports leader whose…

February 1, 2026
Dominion Wealth Management: A Modern Steward of Global Wealth

Dominion Wealth Management: A Modern Steward of Global Wealth

In an increasingly complex and fast-moving financial world, sophisticated investors seek more than transactional advice.…

January 26, 2026
Tensions Around Venezuela: APUDSI Calls on Indonesian Villages for Economic Vigilance and Composure

Tensions Around Venezuela: APUDSI Calls on Indonesian Villages for Economic Vigilance and Composure

Jakarta, January 4, 2026 – In light of the geopolitical developments involving Venezuela and the…

January 6, 2026

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

‘All Jewish hearts are damaged’ says UK Chief Rabbi on Bondi terror assault go to

He stated he needed to fly out to Australia to supply his assist to these affected by Sunday's terror assault,…

World
December 18, 2025

China imposes 13% tax on condoms as start price declines

China is to tax contraception for the primary time in additional than three a long time in a transfer aligned…

World
December 18, 2025

Ghislaine Maxwell begins new try and overturn intercourse trafficking conviction

Ghislaine Maxwell has filed a petition asking a US federal choose to overturn her intercourse trafficking conviction and free her…

World
December 18, 2025

Australia broadcasts harder hate speech legal guidelines following Bondi bloodbath

Australia has introduced harder legal guidelines on hate speech within the wake of the Bondi Seaside terror assault. Naveed Akram,…

World
December 18, 2025

Welcome to Michigan Post, an esteemed publication of the Enspirers News Group. As a beacon of excellence in journalism, Michigan Post is committed to delivering unfiltered and comprehensive news coverage on World News, Politics, Business, Tech, and beyond.

Company

  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • Accessibility Statement

Contact Us

  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability

Term of Use

  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices

© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?