We collect cookies to analyze our website traffic and performance; we never collect any personal data.Cookies Policy
Accept
Michigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
Reading: Biden Administration Rejects Use of Testimony Obtained From Torture in Guantánamo Trial
Share
Font ResizerAa
Michigan PostMichigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved.
Michigan Post > Blog > Politics > Biden Administration Rejects Use of Testimony Obtained From Torture in Guantánamo Trial
Politics

Biden Administration Rejects Use of Testimony Obtained From Torture in Guantánamo Trial

By Editorial Board Published February 2, 2022 3 Min Read
Share
Biden Administration Rejects Use of Testimony Obtained From Torture in Guantánamo Trial
merlin 168861087 61727e01 8cae 443f 9eba e5782411185d facebookJumbo

Mr. Nashiri’s lawyers were exploring a potential defense theory that the United States had already killed plotters of the Cole attack who were more senior and more culpable. The prosecutors asked the judge to end that line of inquiry, pointing to a classified cable that said Mr. Nashiri had told C.I.A. agents as he was being interrogated at a secret prison in Afghanistan that Mr. Fadhli had not been involved.

Defense lawyers said the law prohibited the use of the statement — or any statement by a defendant that was derived from torture or any other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment — throughout the entire proceedings. Prosecutors argued there was an exception for the period when a judge decided pretrial matters before a military jury was chosen to hear a case.

The military judge, Col. Lanny J. Acosta Jr., agreed with the prosecutors in a ruling dated May 18, 2021 that still stands.

Defense lawyers in the case said Tuesday that they were troubled by the language in the Justice Department filing that left open the possibility of an exception for a future administration, particularly given the longevity of the prosecution. It was originally conceived by the Bush administration and pursued by the Obama administration. It has been subject to long delays caused by both prosecution and defense appeals of rulings by the Guantánamo judges.

“It is a cause for concern,” said Michel Paradis, an appellate lawyer for Mr. Nashiri, who works for the Department of Defense. “The Trump administration took a very different view of torture than the Biden administration does. And this pleading leaves open the discretion to change their position.”

Also of concern, he said, was the government’s disclosure in the filing on Monday night that a war court prosecutor, in a review of 100,000 pages of secret filings, discovered another instance when prosecutors invoked something Mr. Nashiri told the C.I.A. at one of their black sites. It was in a 2014 filing.

Defense lawyers were unaware of the use of the statement from the black sites because, at the national security court, prosecutors can give information to the judge unilaterally in a process that enables them to protect, redact or rephrase classified information. The defense lawyers were weighing on Tuesday whether to seek a more vigorous, independent examination of the 100,000 pages.

TAGGED:Al QaedaCentral Intelligence AgencyCole (USS)DetaineesGuantanamo Bay Naval Base (Cuba)Military TribunalsNashiri, Abd al-Rahim al-September 11 (2001)TerrorismThe Washington MailTorture
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

HOT NEWS

Investigation urged after MP  ‘apparently’ facilitates ‘racial slur’ towards Sky Information journalist

Investigation urged after MP ‘apparently’ facilitates ‘racial slur’ towards Sky Information journalist

Politics
August 29, 2025
Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce and Swift’s huge ol’ engagement ring go to a soccer sport collectively

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce and Swift’s huge ol’ engagement ring go to a soccer sport collectively

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s engagement could have kicked off a serious earthquake in the…

August 29, 2025
Cøbra warns that Knots might threaten Core’s reference standing

Cøbra warns that Knots might threaten Core’s reference standing

Cøbra, a long-standing maintainer of Bitcoin.org, says Knots might change Core because the Bitcoin community’s…

August 29, 2025
Fugitive father-of-three and one in every of his youngsters noticed years after disappearance, say police

Fugitive father-of-three and one in every of his youngsters noticed years after disappearance, say police

Police have launched CCTV footage which they imagine exhibits a fugitive father-of-three and one in…

August 29, 2025
Right here's how your Labor Day weekend climate is in search of Mid-Michigan

Right here's how your Labor Day weekend climate is in search of Mid-Michigan

LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) -- An space of excessive strain has moved into the Midwest following…

August 29, 2025

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

A ‘revenge’ reshuffle, the following price range and asylum – 30 issues to look at for this upcoming political season

We're again. From Monday, MPs will stream below the portcullis again into the Commons chamber. However that is removed from…

Politics
August 29, 2025

Electoral Dysfunction: Has Reform ended ‘massive tent’ conservatism?

Former prime minister David Cameron as soon as described himself as a "modern, compassionate Conservative".That was in 2011, in an…

Politics
August 29, 2025

Concern after British couple detained in Iran ‘abruptly whisked’ to courtroom

A British couple detained in Iran have been "suddenly whisked" to a courtroom within the nation's capital, Tehran, their household…

Politics
August 28, 2025

Ed Davey reveals he has written to King to elucidate Trump state dinner boycott

Sir Ed Davey has written to King Charles to elucidate why he believes he has to refuse his invite to…

Politics
August 28, 2025

Welcome to Michigan Post, an esteemed publication of the Enspirers News Group. As a beacon of excellence in journalism, Michigan Post is committed to delivering unfiltered and comprehensive news coverage on World News, Politics, Business, Tech, and beyond.

Company

  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • Accessibility Statement

Contact Us

  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability

Term of Use

  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices

© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?