We collect cookies to analyze our website traffic and performance; we never collect any personal data.Cookies Policy
Accept
Michigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
Reading: NHS was inside ‘six or seven hours’ of operating out of PPE in first COVID wave, says Matt Hancock
Share
Font ResizerAa
Michigan PostMichigan Post
Search
  • Home
  • Trending
  • Michigan
  • World
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • Business
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Real Estate
    • Startups
    • Autos
    • Crypto & Web 3
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Beauty
    • Art & Books
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Education
© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved.
Michigan Post > Blog > Politics > NHS was inside ‘six or seven hours’ of operating out of PPE in first COVID wave, says Matt Hancock
Politics

NHS was inside ‘six or seven hours’ of operating out of PPE in first COVID wave, says Matt Hancock

By Editorial Board Published November 21, 2024 4 Min Read
Share
NHS was inside ‘six or seven hours’ of operating out of PPE in first COVID wave, says Matt Hancock

Some hospitals in England have been inside “six or seven hours” of operating out of private protecting gear within the early levels of the COVID pandemic, a former well being secretary has admitted.

Matt Hancock, who’s not an MP, instructed the COVID public inquiry that some hospitals got here “extremely close” to operating out of inventory within the first wave of the pandemic in spring 2020.

Mr Hancock, who was well being secretary between 2018 to 2021, was giving proof on the newest session of the UK COVID-19 Inquiry, wanting on the impression the pandemic had on healthcare programs, sufferers and well being care employees.

This morning he was booed by a protester as he arrived to present proof on the inquiry.

Lead counsel to the inquiry Jacqueline Carey KC requested the ex-cabinet minister: “Do you accept that entering the coronavirus pandemic as we did, without a single gown, severely hampered the ability to provide safe and appropriate PPE for healthcare workers?”

Politics newest: PM and defence secretary situation warnings over Ukraine conflict

He replied: “The stockpile that we had was not as good as it needs to be in the future, absolutely.”

Pressed on whether or not England ever ran out of private protecting gear (PPE), Mr Hancock stated: “As a complete? No, however particular person places did.

Referring to the availability of robes in April 2020 – in gentle of reviews that some nurses at hospital in London had been compelled to put on bin baggage as safety – Mr Hancock stated: “Gowns, I think, at one point, we got to within six or seven hours of running out.”

“We were working incredibly hard to make sure that we didn’t have a stock out. We nearly did.”

Mr Hancock was a well-recognized face on the common press conferences that happened in the course of the pandemic however was compelled to resign in 2021 after he admitted breaking the federal government’s coronavirus steerage whereas pursuing an affair with an aide.

The inquiry, which has additionally heard different authorities figures together with Boris Johnson and former prime minister Rishi Sunak, is analyzing the federal government’s response to the pandemic.

Mr Hancock additionally admitted in the course of the inquiry session he believed the federal government “got wrong” the best way funeral steerage was “applied” throughout the nation in the course of the pandemic.

Throughout the early days of the COVID disaster, the quantity of people that might attend funerals was restricted, with mourners instructed to maintain two metres aside and solely the closest kinfolk suggested to attend.

“Where I think we got it wrong was how the funeral guidance was applied on the ground. It wasn’t as had been intended,” he instructed the inquiry.

“But of course funerals were places where people gather and are deeply emotional, and people come together, and that was also the thing that was driving the spread of the virus.

“These have been very troublesome concerns.

“Broadly, on balance, I think they were about right, but we can go through every single decision, and you can easily make an argument one way or the other.”

TAGGED:COVIDHancockhoursMattNHSPPERunningwave
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

HOT NEWS

Ministers line up bankers to assessment choices for UK metal business

Ministers line up bankers to assessment choices for UK metal business

Business
November 29, 2025
Oxnard Pacifica defeats Palos Verdes to win Division 3 soccer championship

Oxnard Pacifica defeats Palos Verdes to win Division 3 soccer championship

Oxnard Pacifica was in uncharted waters, deep in a battle of the low-scoring selection that…

November 29, 2025
Indonesia: At the very least 248 folks useless and others lacking after floods and landslides

Indonesia: At the very least 248 folks useless and others lacking after floods and landslides

At the very least 248 folks have now died and greater than 100 individuals are…

November 29, 2025
Austin Reaves helps Lakers and Luka Doncic notch win over Mavericks

Austin Reaves helps Lakers and Luka Doncic notch win over Mavericks

The story nonetheless was about Lakers famous person Luka Doncic and Dallas star Anthony Davis,…

November 29, 2025
Trent Mosley places on a present to assist Santa Margarita win Division 1 championship

Trent Mosley places on a present to assist Santa Margarita win Division 1 championship

Trying snug and assured taking part in catch on Friday evening on the Rose Bowl…

November 29, 2025

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Asylum seekers to be banned from utilizing taxis for medical appointments

A ban on asylum seekers utilizing taxis for many medical journeys has been introduced by House Secretary Shabana Mahmood.Underneath the…

Politics
November 29, 2025

Price range 2025: Hospitality pleads for ‘lifeline’ as Rachel Reeves accused of imposing ‘stealth tax’

Rachel Reeves has been accused of failing to "support the great British pub" as she promised within the finances, with…

Politics
November 29, 2025

Larger than COVID? The graph that explains why AI goes to be so big

Synthetic intelligence is getting superb, very quick. Whether or not it is music, textual content, code or imagery, the time…

Tech / Science
November 29, 2025

Jeremy Corbyn declines to name Zarah Sultana a pal as Your Occasion holds first convention

Jeremy Corbyn has declined to say his Your Occasion co-founder Zarah Sultana is a pal as supporters of the brand…

Politics
November 29, 2025

Welcome to Michigan Post, an esteemed publication of the Enspirers News Group. As a beacon of excellence in journalism, Michigan Post is committed to delivering unfiltered and comprehensive news coverage on World News, Politics, Business, Tech, and beyond.

Company

  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • Accessibility Statement

Contact Us

  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability

Term of Use

  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices

© 2024 | The Michigan Post | All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?